Prime Minister Dr. Denzil Douglas Wednesday insisted that his administration would not be rushed into debating a motion of no confidence against him and that the presentation of the national budget is a priority matter to be dealt with.
Dr. Douglas told a news conference that “the motion of no confidence has its place (and) the government has an agenda for which it is responsible”.
Earlier this week, Opposition Leader Mark Brantley said he has written Governor General Sir Edmund Lawrence indicating that six of the 11 legislators in Parliament no longer supported Dr. Douglas and called for the debate on the motion to be held without further delay.
The move by the opposition leader, which also has the support of two former government ministers – former deputy prime minister Sam Condor and senior government minister Dr. Timothy Harris – is the latest strategy being employed to force the National Assembly to debate the motion of no confidence that the opposition said had been “duly submitted to the Clerk of the National Assembly since the 11th December 2012”.
Brantley said he was calling “on civil society to be vigilant and to continue to apply pressure to ensure that the democratic traditions we all hold sacrosanct are respected and restored”.
The St. Kitts-Nevis Chamber of Industry and Commerce and the churches have already called on Prime Minister Dr. Douglas to ensure that the opposition inspired motion is debated soon.
But Prime Minister Douglas told reporters “the budget is of extreme importance, just as important as the motion of no confidence and the budget is urgent just as the motion of no confidence.
“If for any reason the Speaker would want to forget that I would remind him that the motion of no confidence is urgent and I would remind him to make sure that it is not forgotten, but I think at the moment we are all of one mind…that the budget is urgent.